More than 18,000 people and 678 vendors gathered in Las Vegas for the MJBizCon, a conference all about the cannabis industry. Wochit
Medical-marijuana samples at 420 Dank, a medical dispensary, in Detroit. (Photo: Salwan Georges, Detroit Free Press)Buy Photo
The City of Detroit said Friday it plans to file a lawsuit challenging two voter-approved marijuana initiatives that would have relaxed local control this year.
The move comes after Wayne County Circuit Court Chief Judge Robert Colombo Jr. dismissed two cases Friday that sought to overturn the initiatives. The initiatives, which were approved by 60% of voters last November, have been in limbo since then after a crop of lawsuits surfaced, challenging the measures.
After dismissing the complaints, Colombo decided to allow the city to move forward with its own legal action against Citizens for Sensible Cannabis Reform, which brought forth the two initiatives last year. City lawyer James Noseda told Colombo in court he would submit a complaint by the end of Friday.
Detroit Corporation Counsel Lawrence Garcia declined further comment. Detroit was initially named as a defendant in the two dismissed suits but will now become a plaintiff in the issue once it brings forth its planned complaint.
Also on Freep.com:
“The case has now shifted to where the city is the plaintiff and the Citizens for Sensible Cannabis reform are the defendants,” said Johnathan Barlow, spokesman for the group. “The ironic part about that now is the city is now taking the official position … of attempting to derail and deny the fact that the voters want something different. It’s the most bizarre thing I’ve ever seen