Oklahoma approved the legalization of medical marijuana just last month, but if the nonprofit organization Green the Vote has their way, voters will have the opportunity this November to legalize the plant for all uses.
Green the Vote is aiming to put State Question 797 on the November 6 ballot. The initiative would legalize the possession of up to four ounces of marijuana for recreational use for those 21 and older. The cultivation of up to eight seedlings, and four mature cannabis plants would also be legal, as would the possession of up to two ounces of marijuana concentrates and up to 72 ounces of marijuana-infused products.
The initiative would also establish a regulated and taxed system of marijuana retail outlets. Marijuana would be taxed at no more than 7% at the state level, with localities allowed to place an addition tax of up to 2%. The majority – 75% – of the tax revenue garnered would go to the Department of Education, with the remaining 25% going to the Department of Health for drug and alcohol rehabilitation programs.
In order for Green the Vote to get their initiative on the November ballot, they will need to collect roughly 125,000 signatures from